Thursday, November 27, 2014

An Attitude of Gratitude. Appreciate life and the ones you love.

Today is Thanksgiving and I wanted to take a few minutes to share some of the things that I’m thankful for. Aside from sports and the Yankees, there are many people in my life who have touched my heart and made me smile. To you, I say Thank you.
This has been quite a year for me. I’ve been traveling and working like crazy and of course the Yankees Hat has been with me on every trip. I just got back from Florida, New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago but I’m in the Midwest now spending the holidays with my family, which is what I’m most thankful for.

I love my family and I thank God every day for them, especially for my brother Shane who has battled cancer twice, underwent a sternotomy and a stem cell transplant and won his fight. It’s a true gift to see him sitting across from me at the dinner table.
When a loved one gets sick it gives you a whole new perspective on life. It makes you appreciate things more and you begin to value relationships more. I put my life on hold for five years to be with my family through the tough times and it was the best decision I ever made. Our family got stronger and my brother got healthier. In a way, the whole experience saved my life. And I’m grateful for that.
Going through trials makes you stronger and wiser. It also makes you cherish the holidays more. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow so let’s live each day like it’s our last. Don’t sweat the small stuff, forgive others, and fill your lives with love, compassion, understanding and joy. And no matter how good or bad you have it, be thankful for your life because someone else may be fighting for theirs.

Something exciting happened to our family this year. My brother Shane and his wife Amy had a baby! He’s a little miracle and has turned years of affliction into joy. Children change everything and they sure do brighten up the holidays. He is the love of my life and brings happiness to everyone around him. Not only do I get to spend Thanksgiving with him, but I’ll be there for his first birthday, Christmas and New Years too! You should have seen how cute he was on Halloween. Yes…that’s me with the Yankees hat.
I’m also thankful for the great friends in my life. This past year I’ve met some incredible new friends as well who hold a very special place in my heart. I’m a very private person and I respect the privacy of others so I won’t name names, but you know who you are. Thank you for your love, support, and the always entertaining and anticipated phone calls and text messages. You make my life complete. Hope to see you soon.
I’m also thankful for my career. I get to work with so many talented people and have the most exciting life. I get to travel, meet new people, and do something I love. I feel fortunate and I don’t take anything for granted.

I want to leave you with an image. Although this day is joyous and many of us will be spending it with loved ones eating great food and watching football games, remember that some people have not eaten today. And they won’t eat tomorrow or the next day or the next.
That photo was not to depress you but to make you aware of just how blessed you are. When I first saw that image, it made me cry. It broke my heart to see this woman and her child suffering and in need. I looked at the little boy and thought what if that was my nephew. And what if that was his mother. Sometimes when I need a reminder to stay humble and serve others, I get out this picture. It’s not to ruin your Thanksgiving or make you sad, it’s to remind you of how thankful you should be today and every day. And if you have the opportunity to help someone, do it.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and cherish the time you get to spend with family and friends. I cherish each and every one of you and I’m sending you lots of love today. Thanks for stopping by. I’ll write again soon.

Happy Thanksgiving! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment