Saturday, September 6, 2014

Beyond The Offseason


New York has been amazing. I got to see the Yankees win at home against the Red Sox and the very next day, I experienced one of the most touching production days of my career. I'm still on cloud nine and in awe of how blessed my life is. 

I created a sports show called Beyond The Offseason, it's about athletes, teams and coaches giving back in the off-season and getting involved with charity. I host the show as well as produce it and write it. The concept started 5 years ago when I found out my brother Shane had cancer. Throughout his battle, there were athletes, teams and a very special coach who offered friendship, love and support which truly helped his recovery. They lifted his spirits and gave him the will to keep fighting. I'm happy to say my brother is healthy and cancer free today and we have a lot of people to thank for that. I was so touched by watching these athletes step up and make a difference, that it inspired me to start finding more stories about athletes doing good and telling the rest of the world about it. My passions in life are sports, entertainment and charity and this show has been my dream project. 
I was honored to shoot the most recent episode which took pace in Blauvelt, New York. It's about a little boy with a big heart. His name is Liam Traynor. He's 12 years old and has cerebral palsy. He was born with CP and although he is in a wheel chair, you would never know he was any different from any of the other kids his age because his spirit was so strong and his outlook on life is incredible. It comes from being raised in a loving family and also from having faith in God. I spent the entire day with the Traynor family and got to know Liam very well. He is by far the most amazing 12 year old boy I've ever met and a true inspiration. When you watch the episode it will melt your heart. I admire his family and connected with them because I know how it feels to have a loved one struggle. They reminded me of how important family is and that we have to always be there for each other and have faith. So thank you to the Traynor's for being so amazing. 

There's more to the story though. Liam met a very special #NHL hockey player who at the time was playing for the New York Rangers. His name is Michael Del Zotto. I have never met a more kind and compassionate person and you will see that Michael truly loves and cares about his best buddy Liam. When you watch the two of them interact, it's so heartwarming and is exactly what Beyond The Offseason is all about. Michael is amazing and after you see his bond with Liam you will be a fan for life. 

We begin editing next week so hopefully by the end of the month you will get to see what I experienced with this amazing family and a very special athlete who took the time to care. 

Quote of the day..."The greatest joy is giving, the most satisfying work is helping others, the most powerful force in life is Love and the greatest asset is Faith."

No comments:

Post a Comment